How to apply for Iran visa on arrival
Iran ministry of foreign affairs has introduced some new rules to simplify the Iran visa on arrival applications. Based on new rules nationals of almost all the countries are eligible for Iran visa on arrival. Also the visa validity period is extended to 30 days. No invitation letter from a travel agency or a host in Iran is required and visitors can make the application by themselves.
Since November 2018, electronic visa is issued at the entry points. This means that no paper visa is appended to the traveler’s passport and furthermore no entry or exit stamp on the passport. The new visa process aims facilitate trip to Iran for the people who also like to avoid the restriction pose by US government for visa free entrance to US after visiting Iran.
Who cannot get Iran visa on arrival?
The following visitors are not eligible for visa on arrival program and must apply for regular tourist visa in Iranian embassies or consulates before traveling to Iran.
- Journalists and military personnel.
- Diplomatic and official passport holders.
- Applicants with passport of: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Canada, Colombia, India, Iraq (except for entering Mashhad), Jordan, Nepal, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, and United States.
If you are not eligible for Iran visa on arrival application please visit our post about Iran visa to check the application procedure for normal visa.
Where to apply for Iran visa on arrival?
Tourists with ordinary passport are eligible for visa on arrival application. The visa is valid for maximum stay of 30 days. The visa on arrival can only be collected in one of the following entry points:
- Bandar Abbas International Airport (Bandar Abbas)
- Isfahan International Airport (Isfahan)
- Kish International Airport (Kish Island)
- Mashhad International Airport (Mashad)
- Qeshm international Airport (Qeshm Island)
- Shiraz International Airport (Shiraz)
- Tabriz International Airport (Tabriz)
- Imam Khomeini International Airport (Tehran)
Please note that to expedite collection of your visa in Tehran, you must fill the online application form at Iranian ministry of the foreign affairs and submit hard copy of your submission notice to IKA visa desk, otherwise you might need to wait much longer at the airport to register your data. For tips regarding how to fill the application form please check our post about Iran E-visa.
Documents required for Iran visa on arrival application
- Passport which is valid for at least six months from the arrival date.
- A confirmed return ticket within the next 30 days.
- Address of your first accommodation in Iran or confirmation of your accommodations in Iran.
- Two passport size photos (with general passport photo requirements).
- Application fee which is paid in cash at the airport.
- Valid travel insurance covering traveling in Iran, you can purchase your insurance online by filling travel insurance application form.
How much is the application fee of Iran visa on arrival?
The visa fee depends on the nationality of the applicant. At the moment the following application fees apply for different countries:
- 140 Euros for Australians
- 100 Euros for Chinese
- 75 Euros for most of European countries
Who can visit Iran without visa?
Citizens of the following countries do not need visa for traveling to Iran: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Georgia, Malaysia, Syria, Turkey, and Venezuela.
Entry to Kish and Qeshm islands without visa
All tourists, except citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Canada, Colombia, India, Iraq, Jordan, Pakistan, Somalia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, could stay on Kish and Qeshm islands for a period of maximum 14 days without obtaining any visa.
For application about other visa types and further information please check the website of ministry of the foreign affairs.
As the next step for preparing your trip to Iran, you can check our post about planning your trip to Iran about our recommended places to visit or book a domestic flight in Iran to easily move between the cities.